SARDAM: Mga Berso De Peligro ni R.B. ABIVA, MA-MP, D.Litt. (Hon. Causa)

 

 

 


FROM THE TRANSLATOR

I have been an ardent fan of Rene Boy Abiva’s poetry since my first encounter with his work on the Human Rights Online Philippines website in 2018. By chance I read his poem “Nutri-Asia” about the striking workers of the major food manufacturer published on the website June of that year. Right there and then, I knew that Rene is a special poet whose creative writing prowess stands out for its clarity, intensity, and strong political convictions. My admiration for him grew every time I read his succeeding poems on the website.

Later in November, I finally met him during the awards night of Human Rights Online Philippines’ 8th annual HR Pinduteros Choice for the contributors of the most popular materials uploaded or published on its site. Over dinner with a few rounds of beer at the rooftop of Prime Hotel, we got acquainted and I bought a copy of his book “Tuligsa at iba pang mga tula” (Pantas Publishing, 2018). Later in the evening, when it was my turn to accept my award for my small article – mainly a translation into Tagalog of a few lines of Dylan Thomas’ poem, “And Death Shall Have No Dominion” – I addressed the audience that I was seriously considering a career as translator of English literature into Filipino, and vice-versa. I ended my short speech by raising the copy of Rene’s book in my hand, looking in his direction, and saying that perhaps I’ll translate that opus into English someday. (The following year, 2019, the human rights NGO recognized Rene with its Readers’ Choice Award for Poetry.)

“Tuligsa” became a constant companion in my daily commute to and from work till the end of 2018 and I was further impressed by Rene’s poems. Each piece unequivocally expressed deep love for our nation and its marginalized and underrepresented sectors. And so it was my great delight when in May of 2020, Rene offered me the enviable assignment of translating into English his new collection of poems/proverbs, “Sardam, Mga Berso De Peligro.” It was quite a balancing act: between my attempt to make the English translations as “poetic-sounding” as the original, and my much greater obsession with fidelity to the word-for-word articulation of each poem, to the ad verbum text. Ultimately, in deference to Rene and his creation, I, to quote the English poet and translator Ted Hughes, “settled for literalness as a first principle” – though perhaps with very few exceptions.

It is truly an honor that Rene – a multi-published, multi-award-winning poet and fellow in sundry prestigious literary workshops – entrusted the translation of “Sardam” to yours truly. It is very special to me as this is my first translation of a book of poetry or any book, for that matter.

Lastly, I believe that an excellent poet equally deserves an excellent translator. Thus, if there be future editions of this book, and Rene finds a more qualified translator, I would gracefully submit to whatever will be his decision.

Muli, maraming-maraming salamat sa pagkakataong ito, Rene! Mabuhay ka at ang iyong mga salita’t adhikain!

-Karlo Sevilla

2024 International Fellows of the New York

International Human Rights Art Movement (IHRAM)

September 23, 2020

Quezon City, Philippines

Comments

Popular Posts